I. Basic Background
At the Central United Front Work Conference convened in May 2015, General Secretary Xi Jinping clearly stated that active guidance of religions' adaptation to socialist society must adhere to the direction of sinification. At the National Religious Work Conference convened in April 2016 and the 19th Party Congress convened in October 2017, General Secretary Xi Jinping further explained our country's position on sinifying religion.
In December 2016, the "Resolution" of the 9th meeting of the National Chinese Catholic Congress emphasized that for the following five years, the Catholic Church in China "should thoroughly study and implement the spirit of the series of important addresses by General Secretary Xi Jinping and of the National Conference on Religious Work, to continuously lead the entire nation's clergy and congregation to adhere to the direction of the sinification of Catholicism."
In recent years, while adhering to the direction of sinification of Catholicism, the Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association and the Bishops' Conference of the Catholic Church in China (hereinafter the CCPA and BCCCC), have promoted the church's theological research, have organized several seminars and forums, published relevant books, and thoroughly considered the path for developing the Catholic Church in China. Some local Patriotic Associations and Catholic Administration Commissions (PA & CAC), and parishes have also organized seminars discussing sinfication of Catholicism in our country, helping develop an ideological atmosphere in the church for the sinification of Catholicism.
Currently, Catholicism in our nation's adherence to the direction of sinification has achieved greater understanding among priests and the intellectuals, but ordinary Catholics do not always accurately understand its meaning and goals; and in certain areas, like church rites, their have been rich accomplishments in sinification, but in terms of theological ideology, innovation and exploration starting from contemporary Chinese social and cultural environment in the consideration of sinification of Catholicism; and there are still differing viewpoints within the Church on adherence to the direction sinification, due to reasons such as bias and misunderstanding.
In order to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ to all people in the world, Paul the Apostle initiated the idea: "I have become all things to all men." (1 Cor 9:22). From an historical perspective, the healthy development of Catholicism in our country and the Church's adaptation to society and culture are the same, and there have been both positive and negative experiences that can be drawn from in this regard. After the Second Vatican Council, discussion of localization among the churches of the world opened a new route for the local development of the Catholicism. In our country, adherence to the direction of sinification of Catholicism has had an important significance, and since the establishment of new China, especially in the 40 years since Reform and Opening, the Catholic Church in China has workd to adapt to the socialist society with Chinese characteristics and has had great achievements on evangelizing. As our country has entered into a new era of development, it is urgent to solidify the foundation for the development of the Church in our country's society and culture by deepening the sinification of Catholicism. It is therefore necessary to be problem-oriented, to focus on study of theological ideology, and to establish examples of the sinification of Catholicism, to forcefully advance the sinification of Catholicism.
II. Guiding Ideology, Primary Goals, and Basic Meaning
(1) Guiding Ideology
(2) Main Goals
(3) Basic Meaning
Adherance to the direction of sinification of Catholicism in our country requires conscientious approval in politics. Love of the motherland, and obedience to the national regime is the responsibility and obligation of every Christian. The core of political approval is accepting the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party, supporting the Socialist system, and preserving the authority of the Constitution and laws, the unity of the people, and the integrity of the mother land;
Adherence to the direction of sinification of Catholicism in our country requires conscientious cultural integration. Practice the Core Socialist Values and accept infusion of the exceptional Chinese traditional culture; advocate Chinese styles and integrate with Chinese culture in suggestions on theological ideology, expressions of social rites, and in construction of churches, painting, music and art.
Adhering to the direction of sinification of Catholicism in our country requires conscientious adaptation to society. To adapt to and serve society, and to fulfill its social responsibility, carry out all work of the Catholicism in accordance with law, preserve the lawful rights and interests of the Church, carry forward the Catholic spirit of being the ‘salt and light' of the world, explore and expand new paths for serving society, promoting social harmony, and join in building a beautiful China.
III. Deepen the Political, Legal and Social Recognition of the Chinese Catholic Church
Lead clergy and congregations to actively practice the Core Socialist Values, ardently love the motherland, support the leadership of the Communist Party and the socialist system, observe law and discipline, and serve society.
(1) Carry out Publicity and Education on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics and the Core Socialist Values
1. Study and implement Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era through methods such as publicity, visits, and study exchanges; strengthening clergy and congregations' self-confidence in the path, theory, systems, and culture of socialism with Chinese characteristics; and recognition of the unity between patriotism and devotion, and between the healthy development of Catholicism and the prosperity and strength of the motherland;
2. Carry out publicity and education on the Core Socialist Values, and make their practice a basic requirement of adherence to the direction of sinifying the Catholic Church; and guide clergy and congregations to establish and adhere to correct views of history and ethnicity, and strengthen awareness of the community of the Chinese people.
3. Implement the charter and work regulations of the Patriotic Association, complete and improve each local organization of the patriotic association, and give play to the role of the patriotic association organizations as bridges and ties.
(2) Persist in the Principle of Independent and Autonomous Self-management of the Church.
1. Independent and autonomous self-management of religious affairs can continue to be carried out through the church leadership's research, routine study, holding memorial activities, editing and publishing reviews and research papers by the leadership of the CCPA & BCCCC,
2. The CCPA & BCCCC are to guide and oversee institutes of theology in establishing courses on the independent and autonomous self-management of the Church, and complete revisions to the "Teaching Materials for the Catholic Church in China's Independent and Autonomous Self-management" giving play to the positive role of the teaching materials in education and study.
3. Carry out foreign exchanges on a foundation of equality and friendship, so as to tell the story of the Catholic Church in China well, explaining the meaning and nature of the Catholic Church in China's adherence to the direction of sinification, eliminating misunderstandings and suspicions, and gaining understanding and support.
(3) Strengthen Conception and Education on Rule of Law
1. Through different formats, thoroughly study the newly revised "Regulations on Religious Affairs" at various levels, and periodically organize training on government policies and regulations, leading clergy and congregations to dedicate themselves to consciously establishing national rule of law, strengthening awareness of the state and citizenship, and correctly recognizing and handling the relationship between the state and religion.
2. Strengthen theoretical research and exploratory practices; promote Church morals and teachings that align with socialist morals and the rule of law; promote the integration of Church ethics and morality with traditional Chinese virtues, combine the spirit of the times with the requirements of social development; to give play to positive role of Catholic faith should play a positive role in governing the nation through morality.
3. Strengthen education on the rule of law in theological institutes, including it in the curriculum and offering courses such as on legal foundations', religious policies and regulations; strengthening seminarians legal knowledge and conscious compliance with the law.
(4) Give Play to the Active Role of the Church in Promoting Economic and Social Development
1. Carry forward the Church's excellent tradition of service to society, uniting and leading clerics and congregations' to integration and service to contemporary Chinese society and fulfillment of social responsibilities.
2. In areas where chuirch members live in concentrated communities, vigorously build healthy religious relations, jointly build public order and good customs, promote economic and social development, and build a beautiful China.
3. With the overall planning and leadership of the CCPA and the BCCCC, encourage clergy and congregations to actively participate in public interest charitable activities, highlighting key areas, increasing the level of regulation of Church public interest charitable activities and increase awareness of environmental protection.
IV. Promote the Integration of Catholicism and the Exceptional Chinese Culture
Foster cultural consciousness and self-confidence in being Chinese within the church, enrich expressions of Christian faith with our exceptional humanistic traditions; summarize experiences with sinification in the history of our nation's church, and begin research on church history from the view of the Catholic church in China.
(1) Expand the Church's Recognition and Identification with Traditional Chinese Culture
1. Use various means to increase the Church's understanding of Chinese traditional culture, build cultural consciousness and self-confidence in being Chinese, integrate Chinese traditional recognition of ethics into the spirit of Christ's gospel and promote rooting of the church's faith so it takes root in the Chinese humanities.
2. Increase the content on Chinese traditional culture in catechumen classes and catechist teachings in dioceses and parishes so that the gospel faith and Chinese traditional culture are organically integrated into the daily life of Christians.
3. Strive to cultivate a pool of research talent and theological institute faculty that have both a higher theological achievements and profound literacy in Chinese culture.
4. Emphasize the teaching of Chinese traditional culture and philosophy in arranging courses in theological institutes, cultivate seminarians' use of Chinese culture and ways of thinking to preach the church's gospel truth.
(2) Form a Chinese Catholic History that has the Chinese Church's Perspective
1. Use the establishment of Chinese Catholic historical archives as an instrument for widely collecting historical literary materials and files of the Catholic Church before and after the founding of new China; and summarize and collect the experiences with sinification formed since Catholicism was spread into China, and put together research of Church history from the perspective of the Catholic Church in China.
2. Organize experts on Church history to compile and publish "A History of the Catholic Church in China", using adherence to the direction of sinification of Catholicism as the lead.
3. Study and draw from the historical experiences of other religions in China with sinification, achieving self-improvement through comparative research.
V. Build Theological Ideology with Characteristics of the Chinese Church
(1) Summarize the Experiences and Thought on the Sinification of the Church in Chinese Church History
(2) Deeply research theological ideology on localization of the global church
1. Place great importance on biblical interpretation and biblical theology, continuously returning to the bible, drawing ideals and motivations from the bible.
(3) Innovate in Expressions of Chinese Catholic Theological Ideology
(4) Strengthen the Church's Establishment of Theological Research Platforms and Teams
VI. Innovate forms of Church organization and management that have Chinese characteristics
(1) Deepen the Concept and Understanding of Democratically Running the Church
3. Continue to explore the relationship between the holy ordering and the democratic management of the church, emphasizing service, and promoting the organic unification of the two.
(2) Improve Organizational and Management Systems
VII. Discuss Expressions of Rites That Have Chinese Elements
(1) Summarize Experience in Sinfication of Church Rights in History and Practice
(2) Explore Expressions of Church Rites in Chinese Cultural Etiquette
(3) Steadily Promote the Sinification of Church Rites in Pilot Fashion
VIII. Advocate for Church Styles, Painting, and Spiritual Music Creations That Have Chinese Aesthetics
(1) Change the idea that church architecture, painting, and sacred music must be westernized
1、 收集、整理、研究自天主教传入中国后教堂建筑、绘画艺术、教会音乐方面的遗产。 结合天主教信仰的精神特征，探索新的中国形式、中国风格、中国特点，转变一切必须西方式的倾向和观念；
(2) Explore and accumulate methods for the sinification of church architecture, painting, and sacred music
(3) Form assurances for the sinification of church architecture, painting, and sacred music
1. Cultivate a team of Catholic architects and artists who have a definite theological and ethical foundation and artistic gifts, and form a team of experts able to provide consultation services, and carry out relevant consultation and educational publicity work.
3. The CCPA and BCCCC are to encourage local Churches to strive for the sinification of church buildings and the creation of church paintings and sacred music; conducting pilot projects in some areas that will be expanded broadly.
IX. Organization and Implementation
(1) Strengthen Organizational Leadership
Adherence to the direction of sinification of Catholicism in our country s inseparable from effective organizational methods. The CCPA and BCCCC of the Catholic Church in China must bear primary responsibility, and set up a leading group to coordinate the exploration and realization of the sinification of Catholicism throughout the nation. Be problem-oriented, highlight a few special topics and establish expert groups to find breakthrough solutions.
(2) Strengthen oversight, inspections, and assessment of plan implementation.
Follow definite assessment standards to give commendations to people and teams making prominent contributions.
(3) Strengthen Publicity and Exchange Activities
(4) Strengthen the Integration and Establishment of Research Forces
The key to persisting in the direction of sinification of Catholicism lies in the formation and construction of research teams. From the very beginning, the process of the sinification of Catholicism in our country should be linked with the forging and construction of theological research teams within the Church. 坚持我国天主教中国化方向的探讨须借鉴其他宗教和学术界的相关研究成果，教会的研究队伍要吸收这方面的力量