Promulgation Date: 2021-9-10 Title: 关于印发《物联网新型基础设施建设三年行动计划（2021-2023年）》的通知 Document Number:工信部联科〔2021〕130号 Expiration date: Promulgating Entities:工业和信息化部 科学技术部 生态环境部等 Source of text: https://www.miit.gov.cn/zwgk/zcwj/wjfb/tz/art/2021/art_8b6ed7ce2ba946059f6436a18e375300.html
The Internet of Things (IoT) is an infrastructure that uses sensor and network communications technologies as the primary means to realize the ubiquitous connectivity of people, machines, and things, and provide services such as information sensing, transmission, and handling. With the accelerated pace of digital transformation and increases in smart technology in the economy and society, the IoT has become an important component of the new infrastructure. This Plan is formulated so as to implement the PRC's 14th 5-year Plan for National Economic and Social Development and the Outline of Long-term Gorals for 2035, to create a modernized infrastructure system that is systemically complete, higher-efficient, practical, smart, eco-friendly, safe, and reliable; to advance the construction of the new IoT infrastructure, to give full play to the important role of the IoT in promoting the development of the digital economy and enabling the transformation and upgrading of traditional industry.
I. General Requirements
(1) Guiding Ideology
With Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for the New Era as guidance, fully implementing the spirit of the 19th Party Congress and its 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th plenary sessions, and based on the new stage of development; completely, correctly, and fully implement the new concept of development and construct a new pattern of development, persisting in being oriented towards problems and demand, to create capacity for IoT access that supports fixed-mobile convergence and the combination of broadband and narrowband, to accelerate the advancement of the construction of a fully perceptive, universally connected, secure and reliable new IoT infrastructure; accelerating technological innovation, expanding the industrial ecology, deepening application in key fields, promoting the full development of the IoT, constantly cultivating new economic growth points, to forcefully support the creation of a nation that is a manufacturing and networking power.
(2) Basic principles
Focus on key points to make precise breakthroughs. Focus on key stages such as sensors, transmission, handling, storage, and security to accelerate solutions in key technologies and increase the effective supply of technology; focus on key industries and regions that have a good foundation for development and a strong desire for transformation to accelerate arrangements for new IoT infrastructure and increase the level of IoT application.
Led by demand, strengthening empowerment. Guided by the needs of modernizing social governance, actively expand application scenarios, to increase the level of social governance and public services; guided by the needs for transforming industry, advance the deep integration of the IoT and traditional industry to promote improvements in industrial quality and efficiency; and promote the research, development, and application of smart products to enrich the digital life experience.
Planning, coordination, and working together. Give full play to the role of local government in coordinating and guiding plans for the establishment of new infrastructure and in investment arrangements to form a combined policy force; give full play to the role of research institutions, schools of higher learning, and enterprises as innovators in solving technical challenges and transforming achievements to form a combined technical force; and give full play to the role of the market in making decisions for the allocation of resources and stimulating enthusiasm from all parties, to form a joint industrial force.
Independent innovation, security, and reliability. Coordinate development and security, increasing the level of autonomy and controllability in key and core technologies, strengthen the establishment of security and protection capacity for IoT technologies, networks, terminals, and applications, increase production and supply chain resilience, strengthen data security protection, increase capacity for secure and reliable operations, and effectively prevent and resolve security risks and threats.
(3) Goals of the Action
By the end of 2023, the new IoT infrastructure is to be preliminarily established in major domestic cities, and a more firm foundation is to be set for modernized social governance, the digital transformation of industry, and upgrading people's spending. Achieve breakthroughs in a number of key shared technologies that restrict the development of the IoT; cultivate a wave of entities to construct and operate the IoT that can play a strong role as demonstration and in leading the way; promote service operation models that are reproducible, widely replicable, and sustainable; derive a number of industrial applications that are notably empowering and comprehensively beneficial, and build a set of complete and sound IoT standards and security safeguard systems.
——Definite breakthroughs in innovative capacity. Notable increases in technological level and market competitiveness for key technologies such as high-end sensors, IoT chips, IoT operating systems, and short-range communications; Industrial breakthroughs obtained from the deep integration of the IoT, artificial intelligence, blockchain, big data, IPv6, and other technologies; the constant emergence of new IoT technologies, products, and models.
——Continuous improvement of the industrial ecology. Promote 10 IoT enterprises to grow into leading enterprises with output values of over 10 billion than can drive the financing and development of small and medium-sized enterprises; support the development of a wave of specialized 'little giant' enterprises, cultivate several new national industrial demonstration basis for IoT industrialization to bring on the acceleration of the scaled, intensified, and high-value development of IoT industry.
——Continuous expansion of the scale of application. In key fields such as smart markets, digital villages, smart transportation, smart agriculture, smart manufacturing, smart construction, and smart homes, accelerate the deployment of sensor terminals, networks, and platforms, forming a number of industry solutions that are based on independent innovated technical products and have value for spreading on a large scale to forcefully support the construction of new infrastructure; advance the large-scale application of IPv6 in the IoT field, and breakthrough 2 million IoT network connections.
——Support the further completion of systems. Improve the system of standards for the IoT, by completing the drafting or revision of 40 or more national or industry standards; Establish a system of IoT security safeguards aimed at network security, data security, and the protection of personal information; Establish public service platforms such as for experimental testing, intellectual property services, the transformation of technical successes, and the cultivation of talent.
II. Key Tasks
(1) Action to increase capacity for innovation
1. Breakthroughs in critical core technologies. Systemically arrange innovation chains rotating around key steps in the industrial chain such as the sensing, transmission, and handling of information. Implement a system of letting successes lead the way, encouraging and supporting mainstay enterprises in expanding the extent of researching solutions in critical core technologies, for breakthroughs in critical broad-application technologies such as smart sensors, short-range communications, and high-precision positioning, improving industry weaknesses such as high-end sensors and IoT chips, to further increase the supply of high-efficacy and widely-available IoT sensor terminals.
2. Promote technological integration and innovation. For “5G+IoT”, make full use of the 5G network's high reliability, low latency, and large connectivity, enrich the supply of communication technologies and expand the scenarios for IoT application; For "Big Data + IoT" bring about the effective and coordinated handling of data, deeply mining the value of data from the physical world; for "artificial intelligence + IoT" establish smart services that combine "sensory terminals + platforms + platforms + scenarios"; for "blockchain + IoT" establish a credit system for sensory terminals, ensuring data authentification and the circulation of value.
3. Build mechanisms for collaborative innovation. Encourage localities to unite leading enterprises, scientific research institutes, and universities to establish a number of centers for the incubation and innovation of IoT technologies, open up chains for the transformation of scientific and technological accomplishments, and advance the maturation or pre-production tests and engineered applications of scientific and technological achievements. Encourage leading enterprises to unit upstream and downstream enterprises in establishing an IoT technology alliance, and explore a "patent + standards + open source community" development model, to stimulate innovation and vitality. Rely on foundations and open source communities to focus on developer and user resources, jointly creating mature resolution plan open source products and applications, and forming a collaborative innovative ecology that is internationally competitive.
Item 1: Guidelines for Improving Capacity for Innovation
Critical core technologies. Support research into intelligent sensor technologies with multiple sources and large volumes of data; promote the development of short-range communications technologies that are low-energy, high security, and high-speed; Strengthen research and development of the Beidou positioning and precision indoor position technologies that are highly reliable and have broad coverage; achieve breakthroughs in the design and manufacture of MEMS sensors and IoT chips; research and develop a lightweight, distributed IoT operating system. Accelerate the development and application of technologies such as edge computing, digital twinning, and IPv6.
Technology integration and innovation. Continue to optimize technology in areas such as low latency, low power consumption, and connectivity to enhance 5G's communication support for the IoT. Carry out research on big data technologies such as sensory data cleaning, standard modeling and feature analysis of physical world data, and multi-source heterogeneous data integration and data sharing, to further release the value of IoT data. Carry out research on artificial intelligence technologies such as speech recognition, video recognition, machine learning, object operation mechanism models, and knowledge graphs, to enrich sensor terminals methods of interaction and enhance knowledge model precipitation and increase the level of professionalism in IoT services. Carry out in-depth research on the applicability of lightweight, low-energy blockchain technologies such as distributed ledgers and asymmetric encryption in the actual application and deployment of the IoT.
(2) Action to cultivate the industrial ecology
4. Cultivate diversified market entities. Cultivate a group of leading enterprises that are technical leaders and have strong capacity for resource integration, deepen collaboration of industry and schools in research and innovation; promote the efficient allocation of innovation chains, industrial chains, and funding chains; and promote the large-scale deployment of sensory terminals, platforms, and network facilities. Cultivate a group of new, specialized "little giant" enterprises in the IoT sector looking at specific scenarios and subfields, and becoming suppliers of advanced technology products and applied solution plans. Cultivate a group of IoT service businesses to carry out services such as schematic design, integrated implementation, network operations and maintenance, operation management, and protection of network information security.
5. Strengthen the development of industrial agglomeration. Support areas that have distinctive industrial characteristics, good basic conditions, and outstanding efficacy in applications and demonstrations to build industry demonstration bases for new industrialization through the IoT, and continue to give play to the brand recognition and influence of existing demonstration bases. Accelerate the promotion of concentrated industry development, complete advance trials of new products, services, and models; optimize the allocation of resource factors such as policies, talent, technology, and funds.
Item 2: Guidelines for the Cultivation of Industrial Ecosystem
Diversified market entities. Encourage leading enterprises to develop generalized and serialized software and hardware products revolving around sensory terminals and platforms, shifting from single-point efforts to ecosystem construction, to promote the large-scale and intensive development of the IoT. Encourage new, specialized 'little giant' IoT enterprises to focus on key areas of strong market demand and clear application models, employing combined online and offline methods to spread mature technological products and solution plans. Rely on IoT service businesses, to launch replicable and easily spread operation models, providing differentiated service models for cities, enterprises, consumers, and so forth, and inducing the creation of innovative business models.
Strengthen the development of industrial agglomeration. In consideration of regional development strategies such as the coordinated development of Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei, the integrated development of Yangtze River Delta area, the construction of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, the comprehensive revitalization of Northeast China, the large-scale development of western China, and the construction of the Chengdu-Chongqing Twin Cities Economic Circle, build and improve the IoT for the industrial chain, promote local digital transformation and intelligent upgrades, cultivate demonstration bases of new industrialized industry demonstration bases for IoT in several countries, and enhance the level of industrial agglomeration and development.
(3) Action to develop integrated applications.
6. The field of social governance. Promote the reformation and upgrading of traditional infrastructure such as transportation, energy, municipal government, health and sanitation, incorporating sensory terminals in the uniform planning and construction of public infrastructure, building the IoT access capability that integrates the fixed and mobile, and broadband and narrowband; build a comprehensive management and data sharing platform, fully mining the value of heterogeneous data from multple sources, promote the establishment of smart cities and digital villages, and increasing the intelligent level to which social management and public services are made intelligent. .
Item 3: Guidelines for the construction of social governance
Smart Cities. Advance the construction of new urban infrastructure that is digitized, networked, and intelligent. Promote the construction and large-scale application deployment of sensor terminals such as utility tunnels, smart meters, and smart light poles; accelerate the establishment of city-level sensor data platforms for handling multidimensional heterogeneous data with multiple characteristics and cross-protocol access and facility assessment, to bring about the digitization and virtualization all city data elements and construction of new models for public governance.
Digital villages. Accelerate and promote the digitalization and intelligent transformation of village infrastructure as for water, roads, electricity, and logistics. Strengthen the role of IoT sensing equipment and technologies in rural self-policing and joint policing, and increase the level of digitalization in emergency management, disaster prevention and relief, and epidemic prevention and control, to support the improvement of rural governance capacity.
Smart transportation. Accelerate the application and deployment of intelligent sensors, electronic tagging, electronic bus-stop boards, traffic information control equipment, and so forth in urban traffic infrastructure, and strengthen the large-scale application of the Beidou positioning system in the area of electric bikes. Construct comprehensive intelligent and networked dispatch command and operations and maintenance systems for urban rail transportation; spread intelligent management of city roads, traffic signal linkages, transit controls that prioritize public transportation, and road hazard identification; and increase the effectiveness of urban traffic operation management to ensure transportation safety. Build a comprehensive monitoring platform for coordinating car networking (intelligent networked cars) services, accelerate the construction of application scenarios such as smart parking management, automated driving, and so forth; and promote the networked and coordinated development of urban traffic infrastructure, vehicles, and environments. Advance the establishment of smart ports, increasing the capacity for the automated sensing and identification of ships, information connectivity, control and scheduling; building intelligent information systems with ship-shore integration.l Carry out demonstrations and testing of intelligent low-altitude networks and promote the construction of applications and safety monitoring platforms for unmanned vehicles for earth and air.
Smart energy. Accelerate the reformation of the electrical grid infrastructure to make it intelligent and the construction of intelligent microgrids, make arrangements for typical application systems such as for regional energy management, intelligent measurement systems, and comprehensive energy services. In consideration of the arrangements of 5G and other communications facilities, build linkage platforms for data energy, increasing flexible interconnectivity and capacity for united control in the power, gas, and heating grids, and advance the construction of clean, low-carbon, modern energy systems that are safe and efficient.
Public health. In consideration of needs such as for the prevention, control, and treatment of epidemics, smart patient wards, and remote consultation, actively advance infrastructure upgrades for remote medical communication networks, popularizing equipment such as for individual positioning and the perception of life signs, and promote the establishment of systems for the management public health emergencies that are digitized, networked, and intelligent.
7. Industry application sector. Driven by the digital transition and intelligent upgrades in areas such as agriculture, manufacturing, construction, ecology, and travel, accelerate the application and deployment of sensory terminals such as data collection terminals, meters, and controllers; support the operation of new network technologies to transform enterprises' internal networks and dedicated industry networks; establish platforms providing services such as environmental monitoring, information tracking, status alerts, and identifier resolution; creating a batch of solution plans and application benchmarks that are highly adaptable to industries.
Item 4: Guidelines for the Construction of Industry Applications
Smart agriculture. Promote the application and deployment of sensory terminals such as for information sensing and data collection in agricultural production, environmental monitoring, biological ontology recognition, prevention and control of plant diseases, pests and animal diseases, as well as in the breeding of livestock and poultry, aquaculture, the dynamic monitoring of fishing vessels, and controls for quality and safety; establishing an agriculture and rural affairs monitoring network; building platforms for quality tracing of agricultural products, remote observation monitoring for fishery administration law enforcement, and monitoring aquatic life resources; and advancing the digital reformation of agricultural production businesses and management services.
Smart manufacturing. Accelerate the application and deployment of sensory devices such as radio frequency identification, smart sensors, and visual recognition; promote the reformation of worksite's 'dumb equipment' for data collection and networking capabilities, in order to bring about real-time monitoring of production status, production environments, and materials. Encourage industrial enterprises to use time-sensitive networks, 5G, and other new network technologies to carry out upgrades and reformation of enterprises' internal and external networks. IoT enterprises are encouraged to ally with industrial enterprises to establish IoT platforms, rotating around typical applications such as the management of equipment health, integrated business management, and control, onsite supplemental assembly,
Smart construction. Accelerate the application of IoT technologies such as smart sensors, radio frequency identification (RFID), QR-codes, near field communication, and low-power wide area networks in the production, procurement, and transportation of building materials, BIM collaborative design, smart work sites, smart operation and maintenance, and smart construction. Use IoT technology to raise the level of intelligent management and oversight for construction quality, personnel safety, and environmentally friendly construction.
Smart environmental protection. Promote the application and deployment of low-power, miniaturized, and intelligent ecological sensor terminals, focusing on areas such as aquatic environments, ocean environments, atmospheric environments, soil environments, solid waste, nuclear and radiation safety, and carbon emissions. Establish comprehensive management and data sharing platforms for the ecology and the environment, creating typical applications such as pollution source management, environmental monitoring, ecological protection, and oversight law enforcement, to increase the capacity of environmental perception and the level of intelligence in management decision-making.
Smart cultural and tourism. Promote the construction and application of sensory terminals such as smart gates, smart screens in scenic areas, electronic ticketing, and mobile tour guides; especially accelerating the application and deployment of sensory terminals such as for environmental monitoring, microenvironment regulation, and video passenger flow counters, and other sensing terminals in cultural relics protection; and promote the construction of comprehensive tourism service platform. Carry out evaluations of intelligent tour application systems focusing on new cultural and tourism experiences such as immersive experiences, virtual exhibition halls, and high-definition live broadcasts, providing tourists quality tourism services that are safer, convienent, and comfortable.
8. Consumer fields. Promote the application and deployment of sensory terminals and smart products in homes, buildings, and communities. Create smart homes with interconnected heterogeneous products and centralized control, and build smart buildings and new communities that are low-carbon, environmentally friendly, safe, and comfortable. Encourage cooperation across fields between IoT enterprises and exercise equipment manafucturers, rehabilitation aid producers, senior care establishments, and sports stadiums, to accelerate and promote the popularization of applications such as wearable equipment, smart medical and health products, and smart sports gear.
Item 5: Guidelines for the establishment of consumer goods.
Smart homes. Accelerate the integrated application of technologies such as multi-modal biometrics, interconnectivity and over-the-air download (OTA) with products such as home appliances, lighting, door locks, and home gateways, developing and spreading apps based on unified Application Programming Interfaces (API), to enhance user experience. Spread the deployment of sensory terminals such as for video surveillance, smart door controls, power use management, and fire prevention; strengthen protections of individual privacy, data security, and security regulation; and advance the construction of comprehensive management platforms for buildings and communities.
Smart health. Research and develop smart, wearable equipment with health-monitoring functions, promoting clinical applications of sensor terminals that have medical and diagnostic functions. Spread applications of smart sports gear in training and competitions such as for swimming and winter sports. With the aid of technologies such as precision positioning and digital twinning, create smart stadiums that can operate unattended, conserve energy, and operate digitally.
(4) Support actions to optimize systems
9. Promote the large-scale application of IPv6. Improve the technical standards and specifications for the IoTs terminal access detection technology, and clarify the requirements for IPv6 network access. Promote the reformation and use of IPv6 for IoT platforms, terminals, and gateway devices for public networks, and promote new products to support and enable IPv6 functions by default. Guide and encourage enterprises to adopt IPv6-based application solutions for industry applications, and promote the application of IoT terminals and modules that support IPv6.
Item 6: Guidelines for large-scale deployment and application of IPv6
IPv6 Reformation of the IoT for the Public. Basic telecommunications companies are to complete the nationwide IPv6 transformation of mobile IoT and have the capacity to allocate IPv6 addresses to mobile IoT users.
Pilot demonstrations of industry IoT application of IPv6. Organize, carry out, and support efforts on pilot applications of IoT projects based in IPv6, gathering support for IoT technology platforms based in IPv6 and carry out application demonstrations of innovative application projects. In the field of smart homes field, promote completion of the IPv6 transformation in 3 or more large-scale smart home platforms and 50 or more home IoT sensor terminals, and support access management based in IPv6. Promote the IPv6 reformation of smart IoT terminals in the areas of home water, electricity, and gas; newly deployed smart IoT terminals for home water, electricity, and gas should support IPv6 and enable IPv6 functions by default.
10. Strengthen the establishment of a system of standards. Optimize and improve the system of standards for IoT, establish a map of IoT standards for the entire industrial chain, accelerate the formulation and revision of national and industry standards for new technological products, infrastructure construction, and industry applications, and encourage advance trials of group standards. Continue to deeply participate in international standardization work such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) to increase the extent of China's contribution to international standardization activities. Strengthen the implementation and assessment of key standards.
11. Improve public service systems. Support professional service organizations in innovating the conceptual thinking to increase their service capacity in areas such as intellectual property rights, transformation of scientific and technological achievements, personnel training, investment and financing. Build public service platforms for technology and standards, carrying out services such as verification of new technologies, testing and certification, product quality ratings, and system evaluations. Guide local industry associations, industrial parks, scientific research institutes, leading enterprises, and so forth, to jointly establish an open resource sharing platform to open up resources such as scientific research instruments, testing equipment, and research and development capabilities.
12. Strengthen security supports and safeguards. Accelerate research on security technologies such as sensing, access, transmission, data, and applications. Accelerate the construction of technical means for IoT security monitoring, early warning analysis, and response and, to increase the level of security safeguards for sensory terminals, networks, data, and systems. Strengthen the security management of the IoT cards, and promote the formation of a full life cycle management system for IoT cards that includes pre-sale risk assessment, classification and registration at sale time, and after-sale usage monitoring. Accelerate the application and spread of commercial-use cryptographic technologies and products in the IoT field, establish a cryptography application detection platform for the IoT field, and improve the level of security and applications in commercial-use cryptography in the IoT field. Strengthen the adaptability of IoT application scenarios and the use of spectrum resources, ensuring the safety of the frequency use of the IoT. Rely on alliances and associations to carry out the "Hundred Enterprises and Thousand Models" product cultivation plan for IoT infrastructure, build a secure public service platform, carry out assessments of security capacity, and create "IoT safe products".
III. Safeguard Measures
(1) Optimize mechanisms for coordinated governance. Strengthen departmental coordination to promote the effective implementation of key tasks. Local governments are encouraged to formulate targetted and feasible policy measures in consideration of actual conditions, planning and constructing the development of new IoT infrastructure based on local conditions. Give play to the IoT's role in industry coordination and production alliances, to effectively promote linkages and resource sharing between upstream and downstream production chain demands.
(2) Complete statistics and evaluation mechanisms. Improve statistics systems for the IoT industry, providing a scientific basis for assessing and evaluating the effectiveness of the action plan. Continue to strengthen efforts on appraising the quality of new industrialized demonstration bases for IoT, regulating management and third-party appraisals of processes for key actions such as 'choosing successes to lead the way".
(3) Improve systems for cultivating talent. Support and guide regular colleges and universities and vocational schools to increase the training of professional talent related to the IoT, to fill the talent gap. Encourage enterprises, universities, and scientific research institutions to jointly build laboratories and training bases to enhance the supply of innovative, applied, and mixed IoT talent. Promote the completion and improvement of standards systems for the professional and technical abilities of IoT talent.
(4) Increase fiscal, tax, and financial support. Give play to the role of government funds in driving promotion, encouraging local governments to establish designated funds for IoT and leading financial institutions to participate in the construction of IoT infrastructure. Implement preferential tax policies such as adding deductions for research and development expenses, to promote enterprises increasing their investment in research and development. Promote connections between social capital and small and mid-sized enterprises to promote the resolution of IoT funding issues.
(5) Deepen international exchanges and cooperation. Rely on the Belt and Road initiative to make full use of cooperation mechanisms such as the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) to promote exchanges and cooperation in areas such as technological research and development, industrialization and spreading, infrastructure construction, and talent cultivation. Support domestic IoT enterprises in establishing branches overseas, actively expand channels for international cooperation, and increase the levels of internationalized development.
Ministry of Industry and Information Technology
General Office of the Central Network Security and Informatization Committee
Ministry of Science and Technology
Ministry of Ecology and Environment
Ministry of Housing and Urban Rural Development
Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs
National Health Commission
National Energy Administration