Promulgation Date: 2019-1-18 Title: "Regulation on the Communist Party of China's Political-Legal Work" issued by the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China Document Number: Expiration date: Promulgating Entities:The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China Source of text: http://www.gov.cn/zhengce/2019-01/18/content_5359135.htm 【法规全文】
Chapter I: General Provisions
Article 1: This Regulation is formulated on the basis of the 'Constitution of the Communist Party of China", 'The Constitution of the People's Republic of China", and relevant laws, so as to uphold and strengthen the Party's absolute leadership of political-legal work, to do a good job of Party political-legal work in the new era.
Article 2: This Regulation applies to the leadership and organization of political-legal work by central and local party committees at the county level or above, party political-legal committees, and Party units (committees) of political-legal units.
Article 3: Political-legal work is the an important component of the Party and state's work, and is an important method and path by which the Party leads political-units to lawfully perform their dictatorship, management, and service functions.
Party committees political-legal committees are the functional department for Party committees leadership and management of political-legal work, and are an important organizational form for the Party's leadership of political-legal work.
Political-legal units are the special force engaged in political-legal work under the Party's leadership, primarily including adjudication organs, procuratorates, public security organs, state security organs, judicial-administrative organs, and other such units.
Article 4: 政法工作必须坚持以马克思列宁主义、毛泽东思想、邓小平理论、“三个代表”重要思想、科学发展观、习近平新时代中国特色社会主义思想为指导，牢固树立政治意识、大局意识、核心意识、看齐意识，坚定中国特色社会主义道路自信、理论自信、制度自信、文化自信，坚决维护习近平总书记党中央的核心、全党的核心地位，坚决维护党中央权威和集中统一领导，围绕统筹推进“五位一体”总体布局和协调推进“四个全面”战略布局，坚持党的领导、人民当家作主、依法治国有机统一，坚决捍卫党的领导和中国特色社会主义制度，维护宪法法律权威，支持政法单位依法履行职责，保证司法机关依法独立公正行使职权，确保政法队伍全面正确履行中国特色社会主义事业建设者、捍卫者的使命。
Article 5: 政法工作的主要任务是：在以习近平同志为核心的党中央坚强领导下开展工作，推进平安中国、法治中国建设，推动政法领域全面深化改革，加强过硬队伍建设，深化智能化建设，严格执法、公正司法，履行维护国家政治安全、确保社会大局稳定、促进社会公平正义、保障人民安居乐业的主要职责，创造安全的政治环境、稳定的社会环境、公正的法治环境、优质的服务环境，增强人民群众获得感、幸福感、安全感。
Article 6: Political-Legal Work shall comply with the following principles:
(1) Upholding the absolute leadership of the Party and implementing the Party's leadership in all aspects and the whole process of political-legal work;
(2) Persisting in being people-centered, combining specialized work and the mass line, and preserving the lawful rights and interests of the masses;
(3) Unwaveringly walking the path of Socialist rule of law with Chinese characteristics and establishing a socialist nation with rule of law;
(4) Persisting in service and ensuring the overall situation, so as to provide legal assurances for promoting sustainable and healthy economic development and longterm social stability;
(5) Adhere to the overall view of national security, preserving national sovereignty, security and development interests;
(6) Strictly distinguish and correctly handle conflicts between ourselves and the enemy, and conflict among the people, these two types of conflict with different characters, and correctly exercising the functions of the people's democratic dictatorship;
(7) Persist in walking the path of socialist governance with Chinese characteristics, promoting the formation of a social governance structure that is jointly built, administered, and shared.
(8) persist in reform and innovation, establish and improve the socialist justice system with Chinese characteristics and operational mechanisms for political-legal work;
(9) Political-legal units are to divide work and responsibility, mutually cooperate, and mutually restrain in accordance with law, and are to ensure the correct implementation of duties and lawful exercise of power in accordance with law;
(10) Uphold the requirements of solid politics, operations, responsibility, discipline, and workstyles; and establish a political-legal team for the new era that is ideologically resolute, brave enough to act, clean and upright.
Chapter II: The Party Central Committee‘s Absolute Leadership of Political-Legal Work
Article 7: The Party Central Committee implements absolute leadership over political-legal work, decides fundamental policies in political-legal work, makes decisions and deployments on important measures related to the overall situation and long-term development of political-legal work, and manages central political-legal authority and major matters for which the Party Central Committee is responsible.
Article 8: The CPC Central Committee is to strengthen the overall leadership of political and legal work:
(1) Adhere to the guidance of Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era so as to provide basic compliance for political-legal work adherence to a correct orientation;
(2) Establish the political stance, political orientation, political principles, and political paths, for political-legal work; and strict and impartial political discipline and political rules, so as to provide political guarantees for the scientific development of political-legal work;
(3) Research deployments in political-legal work related to national political security, overall social stability, social fairness and justice, major directive policies or the people living and working in peace and happiness, reform measures, special project actions, and other major measures;
(4) Strengthen the organization and establishment of the political-legal system, lead and promote the establishment of a high-quality, professionalized political-legal corps that is loyal, clean, and active, so as to provide organizational assurances for political-legal work.
Chapter III: Local Party Committees' Leadership of Political-Legal Work
Article 9: Local Party committees at the county level or above lead the political-legal work for that region, implement and put in place the fundamental policies of the Party Central Committee regarding political-legal work, and carry out the Party Central Committee and higher-level Party organizations' decisions, deployment decisions, directions and so forth on political-legal work.
Article 10: So long as they implement the spirit of the Party central committee, Local Party committees at the county level or above have responsibility for leading the implementation of the following matters in the political-legal work of their corresponding region:
(1) Overall planning for important political security matters in political-legal work that are related to preserving national security, especially those with the security of the regime and system at their core;
(2) Overall planning of social stability work, and promptly and properly handling important matters and emergency incidents that impact social stability;
(3) Make overall plans for security construction, rule of law construction, and economic and social development, so as to achieve consistent deployment, consistent promotion, consistent supervision, consistent assessment, consistent reward and punishment；
(4) Promoting political-legal units preservation of economic order in the socialist marketplace, providing legal assurances for high-quality economic development;
(5) Organizing implementation of the Party central committee's political-legal reform plans, and promoting the improvement of the Socialist legal system and political-legal work operational systems and mechanisms.
(6) Improve the social governance system of Party leadership, government responsibility, societal coordination, public participation, and legal assurances; and increase the levels at which social governance is socialized, legalistic, intelligent, and professional;
(7) Improve mechanisms for Party committees', disciplinary inspection organs', and Party committees' political-legal committees' oversight of political-legal units, ensuring the implementation of the Party's policies and directives and the major decisions and deployments of the Party central committee, and ensuring the correct implementation of the Constitution and laws;
(8) Strenghten Party leadership of the establishment of the political-legal corps; and improve the uniform leadership of the Party committees, political-legal units' control, and each relevant department's performance of its own duties;
(9) Improve capacity for judicial law enforcement to satisfy the needs of the political-legal work situation and tasks;
(10) Promote the improvement and implementation of systems and policies ensuring political-legal police's lawful performance of their duties and carrying out work;
(11) Other important political and legal work matters in the region.
Chapter IV: Leadership of Party Committee Political-Legal Committees
Article 11: The Party central committee and local Party committees at the county level or above are to establish political-legal committees. The Central Political-Legal Committee's plan for allocation of functions, internal bodies, and staffing is to be reviewed and approved the Party Central Committee. Provisions on local Party committee's political-legal committees allocation of functions, internal bodies, and personnel are to be reviewed, approved, and confirmed in accordance with the spirit of Party central Committee as well as the requirements of the Party committee at teh level above, taken together with the actual conditions of that region.
Township (street) Party organizations allotment of political -legal committee members, are to be carried out under the leadership of the township (street) Party organizations and County Level Party organizations' political-legal committees' guidance.
Provincial, municipal, county, and township (street) Comprehensive Public Security Administration Centers are an important work platform for integrating public security resources and innovating public security methods; and the members of the Party committee of the same level's political-legal committee, and of the township (street) political-legal committee, are responsible for overall work plans and policy guadiance.
Article 12: The Political and Legal Committee of the Party Committee performs its duties and conducts its work under the leadership of the Party Committee. It should grasp the political direction, coordinate the functions of all parties, coordinate the political and legal work, build the political and legal team, supervise the performance of duties in accordance with the law, create a fair judicial environment, take the lead in acting in accordance with the law, and ensure the party line, principles and policies and major decisions and deployments of the Party Central Committee are implemented to ensure the correct and unified implementation of the Constitution and laws. The principal duties are:
(A) implement of a new era of socialist ideology Xi Jinping Chinese characteristics, uphold the Party's absolute leadership over political and legal work, and resolutely implement the Party's line, principles and policies the Party Central Committee major decisions and plans, promote the improvement and implementation of systems of political rotation and political supervision.
(2) Implement the decisions of the Party Central Committee and higher-level party organizations, study and coordinate major issues between political and legal units, between political and legal units and relevant departments, and between localities, so as to unify the thinking and actions of political and legal units.
(3) Strengthen the investigation and study of major practical and theoretical issues in the political and legal fields, put forward opinions and suggestions on major decision-making deployments and reform measures, and assist the party committee in making decisions and coordinating the promotion of political and legal reforms.
(4) To understand, grasp, analyze and judge the social stability situation and the dynamics of political and legal work, innovate and improve the coordination mechanism of security construction work between multiple departments, coordinate and promote the prevention and resolution of social conflicts and risks that affect stability, coordinate the responses and proper handling of major emergencies, coordinate and guide political and legal units and relevant departments to do a good job in anti-cult, anti-violent and terrorism work.
(5) Strengthen the oversight of political and legal work, and coordinate the implementation of relevant national laws, regulations and policies such as comprehensive management of social security, maintenance of social stability, anti-cult, anti-violent terrorism, etc.
(6) Support and supervise the political and legal units in exercising their powers in accordance with the law, inspect the implementation of the party’s line, principles and policies, the major decisions and deployments of the Party Central Committee, and the state laws and regulations by the political and legal units, guide and coordinate the close cooperation of the political and legal units, and improve the work connection and coordination mechanism between the discipline inspection and supervision organ to promote strict law enforcement and fair justice.
(7) To guide and promote the party building and the political and legal team building of political and legal units, assist the party committee and its organizational departments to strengthen the leadership and cadre team building of the political and legal units, assist the party committee and the discipline inspection and supervision organs to perform supervision and inspection, review and investigation, and send members to attend as non-voting delegates the democratic life meeting of the party group (party committee) of the political and legal unit at the same level.
(8) Implement the decisions and deployments of the national security leadership agencies and the comprehensive rule of law leadership agencies at the central and local levels, supporting and cooperating with the agencies' work; guide the political and legal institutions to strengthen the study of national political security strategies and the study of major issues in the construction of the rule of law in China, and put forward suggestions and work opinions, to guide and coordinate political and legal units to maintain political security and law enforcement and judicial related work.
(9) Master and analyze the dynamics of public opinion in politics and law, guide and coordinate political and law units and relevant departments to handle relevant work in accordance with the law, publicity and reporting, and public opinion guidance.
(10) Completing other tasks transferred by the Party committee and the political-legal committees of higher level Party commitees.
Article 13: The Party Central Committee and all levels of local Party committee political-legal committees are to guide, support, and oversee political-legal units carrying out of work within the scope of their duties as provided by the Constitution and laws.
The Party Central Committee is to guide the work of all levels of local Party committee political-legal committees, and higher level Party committees' political-legal committees are to guide the work of lower level Party committee's political-legal committees.
Chapter V: Leadership of Political-Legal Units' Party Organizations (Party Committees)
Article 14: Party organizations (Party committees) of political-legal units lead the political-legal work for their unit or system, implement and put in place the fundamental policies of the Party Central Committee regarding political-legal work, and carry out the Party Central Committee and higher-level Party organizations' decisions, deployment decisions, directions and so forth on political-legal work.
Article 15: Party organizations (Party committees) of political-legal units shall give play to the leadership function of orientation, overall management, and ensuring implementation in leading and organizing the implementation of political-legal work. The principal duties are:
(1) Implement Xi Jinping’s thought on socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era, implement the party line, principles and policies and major decisions and deployments of the Party Central Committee, and maintain the party’s absolute leadership over political and legal work;
(2) Observe and implement the Constitution and laws, take the lead in performing duties according to law, promote strict law enforcement and fair justice, and maintain the unity, dignity and authority of the country's legal system;
(3) Studying major matters or major cases that affect the country's political security and social stability, and formulating principles, policies and measures for handling in accordance with the law;
(4) Research and promote the comprehensive deepening of reforms of the unit or the system, study and formulate the law enforcement and judicial policies of the unit or the system, and improve the quality, efficiency and credibility of law enforcement and justice;
(5) Fulfill the main responsibility of administering the party strictly in an all-round way, and strengthen the party building and political and legal team building of the unit or system;
(6) Complete other tasks assigned by the superior Party group (Party committee) and the political and legal committee of the party committee.
Article 16: The Party group (Party committee) of the political and legal unit shall establish and improve the system for playing a leading role in law enforcement and case handling, and the system for Party group (Party committee) members to participate in important business and important decision-making in accordance with work procedures, strengthening the political leadership of the Party group (Party committee) and its members and their ability to perform their duties according to law, so as to ensure the correct and unified implementation of the party line, principles, policies and the constitution and laws.
Chapter VI: Requesting Instruction and Submitting Reports
Article 17: The Central Political-Legal Committee, the Party Group (Party Committee) of Central Political-Legal units fulfill their responsibilities under the leadership of the Party Center, develop their work, are responsible to the Party Center, are supervised by the Party Center, seek instructions and report their work to the Party Center and General Secretary.
Article 18: The Central Committee Political-legal Committee and Party groups (Party committees) of Central political-legal units shall promptly request instructions from the Party Center on the following matters:
(1) Fundamental policies in political-legal work and major items related to the overall picture and long-term development of political-legal work;
(2) Major political security matters related to preserving national security, especially regime security and system security as the core;
(3) Major issues in efforts to preserve social stability;
(4) Major systemic reform plans for political-legal work, and major legislative suggestionsl
(5) The formulation of major policy measures on the construction of the political-legal corps;
(6) Other major matters in political-legal work.
Article 19: The Central Political-legal Committee and Central Political-legal Units' Party groups (party committees) shall report on the following matters to the Party Center:
(1) Important developments and outcomes in the implementation of major matters such as decisions of the Party Center, deployment decisions, and directions;
(2) Investigative and research reports on major issues impacting the correct and uniform implementation of Party line policies and the Constitution and laws;
(3) Important developments and outcomes in cases (incidents) that have major national impact;
(4) Major actions strengthening the establishment of the political-legal corps;
(5) Bi-annual and annual work conditions;
(6) Other matters on which the Party central committee requests reports.
The Party groups of the Supreme People's Court and Supreme People's Procuratorate are to strictly enforce the system for reporting the Party Central Committee in accordance with relevant provisions.
Each provincial (autonomous region, directly-governed municipality) Party committee is to report major political-legal work matters to the Party Central Committee in accordance with relevant provisions.
Article 20: Central political-legal units' Party groups (Party Committees) and the Political-legal committees of provincial (autonomous region, directly-controlled municipality) Party committees shall request instruction from the Party Central Committee Political-legal committee on the following matters:
(1) Major matters involving the overall picture of political-legal work, that the Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission needs to be asked to research and decide upon;
(2) Major differences of opinion between relevant regions and departments where a consensus cannot be reached despite repeated discussion, and it is necessary for the Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission to coordinate;
(3) Major political-legal reform plans and measures;
(4) Release of major political-legal policy documents or judicial interpretations, or submission of legislative recommendations on major adjustments to systems of policies;
(5) Major matters sent by the Party Central Committee and major matters that require the Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission to research and plan with a grasp of principles and policies;
(6) Policy measure issues related to major matters in political-legal work involving national security, especially political security and so forth;
(7) Proposals to convene meetings or publish documents in the name of the Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission;
(8) Other major matters that shall be sent to the Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission for instruction.
Article 21: Central political-legal units' Party groups (Party Committees) and provincial (autonomous region, directly-governed municipality) Party committees' political legal committees shall report the following matters to the Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission:
(1) The comprehensive implementation of the party's basic theory, basic line, and basic strategy, and the status on implementing the Party Central Committee's decisions;
(2) The status on implementing the spirit of important instructions related to political and legal work from the Party Central Committee;
(3) The status on implementing on working arrangements, instructions and decisions from the Central Political and Legal Committee;
(4) The status on major work deployment and its progress, as well as the status of annual work;
(5) The status on major political-legal reform deployments and advancements;
(6) The status on the handling of major issues in political and legal work involving national security, especially political security;
(8) leading cadres interfering with judicial activities or tampering with the handling of specific cases;
(9) Other matters that shall be reported to the Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission;
Article 22: 县级以上地方党委政法委员会、政法单位党组（党委）每年应当向同级党委报告全面工作情况，遇有重要情况及时请示报告。
Chapter VII: Decision-Making and Implementation
Article 23: Party Committees, Party Political-Legal Committees, Party groups (Party Committees) of Political-Legal units, s in accordance with collective leadership, democratic centralism, individual consultations and decisions by meetings, within the scope of their duties and powers, research and make decisions, decision-making arrangements or instructions timely on the following matters:
Article 24: 对于党中央以及上级党组织决定、决策部署、指示等，各有关地方党委、党委政法委员会、政法单位党组（党委）必须坚决贯彻执行。
Article 25: 地方党委应当建立健全委员会全体会议或者常委会会议研究部署政法工作的制度，将政法工作纳入重要议事日程，及时研究解决政法工作和队伍建设的重大问题。
Article 26: 地方党委应当在本地区带头执行党中央以及上级党组织决定、决策部署、指示等事项，并指导、督促党委政法委员会和政法单位党组（党委）做好贯彻执行相关工作。
Article 27: 党委政法委员会实行全体会议制度，讨论和决定职责范围内的政法工作重大事项。
Article 28: 党委政法委员会应当贯彻执行党中央以及同级地方党委、上级党委政法委员会决定、决策部署、指示等事项，并发挥统筹协调职能作用，协助党委指导、督促有关政法单位党组（党委）、下级党委政法委员会坚决执行党中央以及上级党组织决定、决策部署、指示等事项，推动工作落实。
Article 29: 政法单位党组（党委）应当按照有关规定召开党组（党委）会议，讨论和决定本单位或者本系统政法工作和队伍建设重大事项。
Article 30: 政法单位党组（党委）应当坚决贯彻执行党中央以及上级党组织决定、决策部署、指示等事项，确保工作落实。
Chapter VIII: Oversight and Responsibility
Article 31: Party committees at all levels shall incorporate leadership and organization of political and legal work into the party's internal supervision system, implement a combination of internal party supervision and external supervision, and enhance the joint force of supervision.
The Political and Legal Committee of the Party Committee shall guide and promote the establishment and improvement of the supervision and control system compatible with the operation mechanism of law enforcement and judicial power, build a law enforcement and judicial responsibility system with clear powers and responsibilities, and improve the procedural, platform-based, and open management and supervision methods.
The party group (party committee) of political and legal units shall incorporate political and legal work into the scope of public party affairs and government affairs in accordance with laws and regulations, and promote the openness of trial execution, procuratorial affairs, police affairs, judicial administration, and prison (office) affairs in an orderly manner in accordance with laws and regulations, and improve political and legal units intra-supervision and restriction mechanisms to ensure that political and legal work is promoted in an environment of effective supervision and restraint in accordance with the law.
Article 32: Strengthen the supervision and inspection of the overall situation of political and legal work and the implementation of major decision-making arrangements：
(1) The party committee shall strengthen the supervision and inspection of the political and legal work of the party committee's political and legal committee, the party group (party committee) of the political and legal unit, and the leadership and organization of the next-level party committee, especially the implementation of the party Central Committee and the superior party organization's decisions, decision-making deployment, instructions, etc., need to carry out inspections when necessary, and report within a certain range;
Article 33: 党委应当加强对党委政法委员会、政法单位党组（党委）和下一级党委常委会履职情况的考评考核，其结果作为对有关领导班子、领导干部综合考核评价的重要内容和依据：
Article 34: 党委政法委员会在统筹推动政法单位开展常态执法司法规范化检查中，对发现的政法单位党组（党委）及其成员不履行或者不正确履行职责，或者政法干警执法司法中的突出问题，应当督促加大整改力度，加强执法司法制度建设，保证全面正确履行职责。
Article 35: 有关地方和部门领导干部在领导和组织开展政法工作中，违反本条例和有关党内法规制度规定职责的，视情节轻重，由党委政法委员会进行约谈、通报、挂牌督办等；或者由纪检监察机关、组织人事部门按照管理权限，办理引咎辞职、责令辞职、免职等。 因违纪违法应当承担责任的，给予党纪政务处分；涉嫌犯罪的，依法追究刑事责任。
Chapter IX: Supplementary Provisions
Article 36: 中央政法委员会，中央政法单位党组（党委），各省（自治区、直辖市）党委可以根据本条例，结合各自实际，制定配套规定。
Article 37: 中央军事委员会依照本条例的基本精神，制定军队政法工作党内法规。
Article 38: The Central Political-legal Committee is responsible for the interpretation of this Regulation.
Article 39:These Regulations shall enter into force on January 13, 2019. Where previously released internal Party provisions on political-legal work are inconsistent with this Regulation, act in accordance with these Regulation.