Promulgation Date: 2022-4-24 Title: Circular on Urging Suspects Involved in Crimes Related to the Trafficking of Women and Children to Turn Themselves In and Surrender Document Number: Expiration date: Promulgating Entities: Supreme People's Court, Supreme People's Procuratorate, Ministry of Public Security Source of text: https://www.spp.gov.cn/spp/xwfbh/wsfbt/202204/t20220430_555931.shtml#2
The following announcement is made on the basis of the PRC Criminal Law and PRC Criminal Procedure Law, in order to preserve the lawful rights and interests of all women and children, to preserve social harmony and stability, to strictly crackdown on the criminal trafficking of women and children, and to encourage related criminal suspects to proactively turn themselves in and receive a lenient disposition:
1. Criminal suspects who perpetrated or participated in the trafficking of women and children, the purchase of trafficked women or children, or in other related criminal conduct, are urged to surrender and turn themselves in at public security organs or other relevant units and organizations as soon as possible, from the publication of this circular through June 30, 2022.
2. Those who surrender and truthfully confess their crimes during the period provided in this notice may be given a mitigated or commuted sentence in accordance with law, and where the offense is more minor, punishment may be waived in accordance with law. It will be found to be surrender where criminal suspects come in in-person after first surrendering by entrusting someone to act on their behalf or surrendering through methods such as letter, phone, or e-mail; or where friends and family persuade them to surrender and accompany them in doing so, or where friends and family proactively report a case and bring in the criminal suspect.
3. Punishment may be mitigated or commuted in accordance with law where criminal suspects make meritorious contributions after they are brought in, such as where they report and give information on the criminal conduct of others that proves true through investigation, where they provide important leads that lead to breaking other cases, or where they actively assist the judicial organs in catching other criminal suspects, Where they make a major meritorious contribution, punishment may be commuted or waived in accordance with law.
4. Criminal suspects should recognize this situation and value this opportunity, turning themselves in and surrendering to receive lenient dispositions as quickly as possible. Those who refuse to turn themselves in and surrender in the provided time period, and who continue perpetrating criminal activity related to the trafficking of women and children will be strictly punished in accordance with law. Those who harbor or shelter criminals who have trafficked women or children, help them to transfer or hide the trafficked women or children, or provide fake marriage certificates, paternity tests, or birth certificates, will be strictly cracked down on. Those who gather a crowd to obstruct the rescue of purchased women and children shall be pursued for criminal responsibility in accordance with law.
6. Individuals and relevant organizations are encouraged to actively make reports or accusations regarding crimes of trafficking women or children, and to persuade criminal suspects who are at large to turn themselves in and surrender. The judicial organs are to protect informants, accusers, and other witnesses in accordance with law. Criminal responsibility will be pursued in accordance with law where informants or accusers are threatened or retaliated against and it constitutes a crime.
This circular takes effect from the date of publication.
Supreme People's Court, Supreme People's Procuratorate, Ministry of Public Security
April 24, 2022