Below are a number of articles that I have written on Social Credit in China. Our collection of Social Credit documents and translations is available here
- China Through a Glass Darkly (WHAT FOREIGN MEDIA MISSES IN CHINA’S SOCIAL CREDIT) [a popular overview and discussion of the most common misconceptions]
- Giving Credit [My earliest article on social credit, discussing the system generally, and its application to individuals]
- Giving Credit 2: Carrots and Sticks [A thorough discussion of rewards and punishments in the 4 locations that have fully functional Social Credit Regulations]
- Giving Credit 3: Inputs and Outputs [A thorough discussion of what information is collected in Social Credit and how it is used, by looking again at the 4 locations with Social Credit Regulations]
- The Redlists are Coming! The Blacklists are Coming! [A concise articulation of the principle operational mechanism of Social Credit, industry-specific blacklists]
- Who Did China Ban from Flying? [A close look at the design of a single, fairly typical blacklist]
- Credible Threat? Taiwan, websites, and social credit [Addressing the question of whether China’s requests that airlines list Taiwan as part of China are based on Social Credit, and giving an overview of general principles]
- ‘Map’ of the Social Credit Plan 2014-2020 [An organized chart summarizing the guiding document on Social Credit, identifying where blacklists are mandated and what industries are targeted]
- Easy as ABC [A brief look at the interesting story of Liu Hu, a reporter who was NOT stopped from flying due to a low credit score, despite what less careful journalists have said about him.
- Audio: Interview with BBC Business Daily. [A rare foray onto the radio to discuss the above]
11. Audio: “Podcast” Overview of Social Credit [15+ minute summary of much of the above]
12. What’s the T on China’s Social Credit System? – A 2-part in-depth interview by Elizabeth Lynch of China Law and Policy
13. S&D Conference – Digital Human Rights in China – Video of Longform Panel Discussion featuring several experts.